Saturday, January 14, 2012

Deviance is Relative

I've always been considered a deviant. As a kid, I love Tonka trucks, Lisa Frank, Star Wars and Harry Potter. I didn't fit any particular stereotype, and I was cool with that. As I've grown up, it's stayed the same. I'm a homosexual, I'm super liberal, I love to get trashed but I also love to discuss politics, gender, sexuality, religion, values and so much more.

It's funny though. In some settings, I'm a deviant and in some, I conform to the rules, because deviance is relative. While getting stoned is a deviant thing in society, it's certainly not out of the norm for people who smoke, if that makes any sense.

Discussing religion and values maybe is deviant for my age group, but it follows the norms of people at my school.

Remember back in the day when alcohol was illegal in the U.S.? Suddenly, it was considered deviant to take part in something that was so essential to American life. Something that was a norm was suddenly deviant.

But did that stop people from drinking? Fuck no. Speak Easy's were common and there was a huge black market for booze.

That reminds me of marijuana today. It may be against the law, but not for long, I'd wager. It's deviant now, but it won't always be.

The war on weed is definitely the Prohibition of the new millennium.

No comments:

Post a Comment