Sunday, January 15, 2012

Getting Baked

When people think of stoners, I think they generally think of losers who live in their parents' basements and have no job, no life and no prospects. This, however, is false. In fact, there are tons of misconceptions about weed, which sort of sucks.

One of the biggest, most unfortunate, untruths spread about cannabis is that it is a gateway drug. Statistics prove that the real gateway drug is alcohol, which is legal. In fact, marijuana prohibition is what exposes users to the black market.

Synthetic marijuana is one of those unfortunate alternatives to the herb. It's awful that synthetic weed is legal but the real stuff isn't, because the fake stuff is way worse for you and can kill you.

I smoke a little weed now and then. In fact, I'd smoke more if I had some in my room, but I haven't yet been able to buy any. In addition to smoking, I also go to school, work 3 jobs (and will also be donating plasma soon), get decent grades, talk to my mom every day, keep up friendships and have good relationships with my professors. I also have a girlfriend who is perfect.

A lot of people are that way. It's easy to be a stoner and successful. Look at Barbra Streisand, James Franco, the Beatles and so on.

It's so stupid when people argue that marijuana is illegal because it gets abused so often. So does alcohol. Anything can be abused, and just about anything can be addictive. Caffeine, alcohol, tobacco, high fructose corn syrup and sex are all things proven to be addictive just still legal.

The arguments against pot are dumb. And I wish I had the time to debunk all of them. Maybe I will, some day.

But before you make judgments on a person who smokes pot, maybe do a little research. You'll find that the herb is much safer than a lot of legal things out there.

1 comment: